Working Hard to Safeguard Paddling Assets for All Canadians

All about Whitewater

All about Whitewater
A Blog about River Preservation and the need to protect our free flowing whitewater resources

Friday, August 10, 2018

More Poetry

More
Photonic Dreams

What's that?! He's been dreaming again- 
not working with other things to do 
Because his mind is racing with intoxicating and enchanting thoughts of who? 
But the screen shining, blankly is flickering or is it winking 
Like a changeling temptress of whom he's been thinking 
Imagining it's keys pipeline to her mind - flowing and caressing a
nd mystically winds his thoughts to her door 
That light box could be a window to her soul 
One great eye into which they may both fall - limitless falling 
Oh grant him that he shall never land 
How can this mechanical thing perversely link him to her? 
Indelibly marked by memories or are these just dreams too? 
He knows why, and remembers how 
one evening what shone was moonlight 
which mingled with his keyboard friend, 
there upon them casting shadows of light and dark, 
good and bad, 
right or wrong 
with winged spectral harpists whispering 
then urging them to go on 
And finally moving into the light which beckoned - 
then surrounded them with the warm glow of friends - 
faces gone but hearts remaining 
a blissful union there - for ever more - until the end 
His machine has become a mental cue, 
and a strange one at that 
conjuring up such recollections by the video screen 
he sits at 
Drawn beyond the light now 
into the darkness of Her room 
washed with her scent upon the sheets 
which further sealed the night 
And there, coupled but not by the photonic chains of mail 
that never stop 
It seems, there was only their own essence 
as they sailed away into his dreams
kayaky

Back to the top

Patricia Maxine

I was there when she slipped away 
quietly weeping I wondered what she thought 
A shadow of the person that I knew lay before me 
Yellow and weak, and bluster gone 
Part of me went with her 
And a piece of my heart is numbed by the loss 
But life goes on

I was there when she slipped from us 
The few who stayed to watch 
And each of the last breaths she took tore at my soul 
Those were my last breaths too

Anyone who has seen the face of death 
Is afraid no more 
But I never saw that face for I saw only you 
And what I saw made me so afraid 
That I was wasting time and filling days 
without meaning until you showed me the way

Now not a day goes by 
when I don't think of you 
How I miss you so, my Patricia
kayaky

Back to the top

Painful Voice

A smokey dive where dimly lit
a score of broken hearted sit 
joined in song in chorus with a painful voice to voiceless hits
Loving, losing, leaving strains or songs 
to mommas, trucks or trains
the DJ hurts with each refrain 
ensconced in Karaoke pain
Too many beers and cigarettes, 
Hearts brimming with the blues 
Lives well lived not long but hard, 
whose dreams not sweet 
came true 
From corner seat she reaches out 
and penetrates the scene 
drawing looks back to her booth, 
how remarkable had it been
That woman's crying in the bar, 
God knows she's been abused 
Her voice as painful as it sounds and bleating out of tune
Cloistered small and shoulders hunched, battle worn and scarred 
The painful voice and friend who sing are sharing with the bar 
One note or phrase or whose to say 
what captures distant thought 
But when the moment seizes her 
she gives it all she's got
No word is heard, no melody, 
musicality's away barking recognition 
with her memory all a haze 
No one laughs at painful voice they've heard her song before 
She's earned the right to sing that tune 
and keep coming back for more
In smokey bar the crowd goes by, 
each night they start anew 
The painful voice that sings todayreturns in time for you
kayaky

Back to the top

Not Friends

Once we were good friends but now we don't meet 
We'd talk on for hours but now we don't speak 
And candlelit dinners were eaten on the floor 
But now I don't see you anymore
How did that all come to happen? That's not what good friends are for! So here I sit alone and forgotten Because we're not good friends anymore
Once I could call you and chat for a while It seemed there was nothing not said by and by and sometimes we'd sit and just watch the TV But now you won't even call me
I could come over and show you my thoughts Words that were writen but poetry not Still that was enough to sustain us my friend But now I feel this is the end
How did that all come to happen? That's not what good friends are for! So here I sit alone and forgotten Because we're not good friends anymore

kayaky

Back to the top

Musical Sex

There they are - knife blade's chopping - clacking, slicing, snipping rythmically clipping 
There they go - piston pump's pumping - snorkling, pocca pocketing and musically thumping Here they come - steam engine's steaming - chug chuggalug chugging 
Are we really just like that? NO! 
At least we try not to think so. 
We make music panting, heaving, sighing and sometimes laughing and crying 
But when cold humans come together, coldly, it is a prickly pot of mechanical parts and picks 
So their vibrating tool is humming, clicking, whirring 
Strangely satisfying, while buzzing and tantalizing 
she with wet lips and fingers fools herself as she dreams on 
and sooths herself too 
And he no better plays it all by ear 
beat - beat - beating Whap - whap - whapping and drum - drum - drumming 
with his one good hand 
Its a caccaphony of misery when playing in the one man band! 
Then coming together again, moaning and groaning 
Huffing and puffing, squeaking and shaking as they rattle and roll 
Oh Momma! it is a symphony of ecstasy 
as they play their song 
Slurping and sucking as they are passionately fucking 
Until symbols clashing their music is gone. 
But somewhere in the distant hills 
The memory of that melody echoes still 
Like some catchy tun you can't turn off 
compelling you to play it again and again 
Since your first heard it in the distance or through the wall 
in some small town 
where a pickup group is apickin and agrinnin 
or as a nifty little ditty in a disco city 
and the beat goes on and on
kayaky

Back to the top

Maple Dreams

Sitting on the doorstep of their neighbor's front porch Staring at the sunlight dappling through the maple leaves He was sitting by her, speaking words to guide her and he took her to his world - a land of make believe They didn't see tomorrow, forgot about yesterday all they needed was there and then, loving her, - he felt that way Running round were children some were his - some hers and the house where they lived seemed to bustle all the time Just like sun soaked tree leaves they were all so happy Red and gold were colours of the love he gave to her Circling round were memories just like the falling leaves And all the things they left behind were blown about by the breeze Singing songs and playing games where everybody knows their names Thats what they were thinking sitting on the front doorstep that day
kayaky

Back to the top

Lonely but Not in Love

Emotions are responses to our love's profound attachements but happiness is only one of the possible reactions and loneliness may come along and sift between the cracks confusing us with feelings while disguised by cloak and hat

Do you recall the reasons when you thought you fell in love? Overcome with those emotions you weren't circumspect enough! We're hungry when we're lonely, and the souls who come our way are out there looking for us and they're feeling just the same

Its human feeling lonely, hoping loneliness will fade But little reason for a match if love could seize the day Had you understood your motives and entered with them known you'd have fallen into love but where there's feelings that you own

kayaky

Back to the top

The Thin Grey Line

Outside ourselves's a thin grey line where sky and earth collide 
where all around are questions and each choice hard to decide
Which way is up, and which is down for all we see is fog 
each step is like a leap of faith and certainty's in shrouds
Out here's a place so distant its a no man's land of sorts 
failing to provide a soul with means to chart one's course
But course is set in fool's gambit we race to meet our end 
soaring through a starless soup 'lectronics understand
Then suddenly the sun bursts through and what a sight 
that is wondrous glow and warmth engulfs with happiness and bliss
A little trust goes light years on our never ending trip 
relinquish helm at times like these to fate or hidden grip
Will me home then silver wings entrusted love with thee 
and if you fail to take me there I'll die more peacefully 
Than had I simply stayed on ground and plodded day by day 
Not wondering where path would wind where each bend was all I'd see
kayaky

Back to the top

In the Zone

My head is numb and I cannot think 
there's numbers racing round my eyes like rings 
Bunch of people looking down on me 
I'm too busy playing with my fucking strings 
Time is flying by and days go too 
Such a waste when I'm here with you 
In the zone where nothings clear I can't see, but I can feel you breathe 
Smell your scent, feel your heat I won't look at you - but I see your knees 
In the zone, in deep freeze 
Close enough to touch you and hear your heartbeat 
Where are you, where are we? 
We used to be people now we're history 
My eyes are gone my face is white 
Everything around me's such a fucking fright 
Too many people, did we go to far? 
Got on the bus and should have used my car 
Swinging tubes gonna hurt my brain 
Just a minute after I've gone insane 
In the zone, I'm not free 
Smell your body, feel your heat 
Touch my skin, hear me breathe 
Where are you, where are we?
kayaky

Back to the top

Ideas

An idea passed my way and drifted through my mind 
like wind blowing through a willow 
it flowed through and changed me 
then left me wondering how we'd be the same 
until the ideas flowing aound us came through our windows 
and into our souls 
Changing our thoughts and bending our minds 
blowing in like a hurricane and changing us forever 
Like a childhood ravaged by adult notions 
Or converts struck dumb by faith flowing in 
like a summer breeze and toying with our emotions 
before leaving ringing chords on our wind chimes 
to remind us they've been and gone stealing in 
like a thief in the night robbing us of our self confidence 
we're left to wonder how we got here polarized, differentiated, ostrasizied 
We who would be empty vessels half empty, and half full 
Just cups of a different shape or colour 
Until filled with our own heady but often foul brew of ideas
kayaky

Back to the top

I think I'll like you

Yeah - I think I'll like you - that's not gonna be enough 
Sure I'm looking at you - cause I know your nut is tough 
Now you're looking past me but you're hoping I'm the one 
Cause you're sick of looking past me and you want to have some fun
Come on, I wanna interest you baby 
Maybe you'll be interesting too 
I've been liking what I'm seeing 
So whatcha gonna do?
Did you have something to say - well I've got something too 
It's my life story and there's a page in it for you 
Yeah - I think I'll like you - that's not gonna be enough 
You'd better like me baby if you wanna fall in love
kayaky

Back to the top

Henry Hyde

Henry Hyde had an affair years ago, its on the internet They're swirling rumours round him and they're not giving up as yet Its not important why he did it only that he did It doesn't matter who she was or what he felt or said We're not machines you switch on and off and urges never quit so acting on them weaving tangled webs of truth and lies. Lives continually getting flushed down a drain of piss and shit filled up with raw emotion into a heady brew of human waste in a never ending cycle>don't give it a second thought or you'll be torn to bits When love and lust fall in the mix people are ground to dust But they're never changed by the process their life is the catalyst I feel sorry for Henry Hyde his only mistake is that he had loved too well and perhaps too much>

kayaky

Back to the top

Home

The aroma of fresh cookies filled our cosy yellow home 
With Magnificent Chocolate Chips so much like Mom used to make, 
that love was in the air 
Vases adorned the table with roses and white lillies 
Fresh and clean, vivid as only the present can be 
Music wafted in from every corner 
Lush piano bar music that dripped with sultry sounds 
hinting of quieter times and hidden memories 
Flickering at the hearth a warm and inviting fire, 
blazing enough to warm the soul and toes 
In that glow, the first kiss through the door was heaven on earth, 
a blessing and a recompense for everything 
that had ever come before or could possibly transpire 
until the end of days
kayaky

Back to the top

handwriting

Handwriting is a window into the soul watch how quickly it reflects the truth long after embellishment leaves the words and character remains The very ideas melting onto the page like a candle dripping etching and sometimes burning brightly flickering until out as if all thought had ended then suddenly as if sparked by some unseen force flickers yet again in darkness the light will shine like words piercing silence - words always words must be spoken to live and writen to endure
kayaky

Back to the top

Grains of Sand

Up here the wind whips the thin air into a frenzy Grand Vistas sweep for no one but the Gods Rising up from nowhere reaching endlessly pushed relentlessly by inner fires the mountain kings shall yield

Their significance slips by unnoticed in the seamless reach of time like the endless wash of surf on grains of sand they are the beach and the shore defining continents

The slow motion ice tide comes in with its huge breakers crashing over the rocky coast Stripping every living thing every stubborn barnacle in their path

And the sky stays gray and dark, no blue is seen hidden by the dust of millenia churned up by accidental visitors from outer space Our sun, the alpha and the omega waits patiently for spring

Measured against these walls our heights are pitiful Red rocks and golden rays illuninate the highest spires and deepest canyons at dusk or dawn Down below the wash of ages rushes by carrying with it every rock and stone to meet their salty brothers by the sea

Deeper still the depths where no human ever stirred Darkness means nothing here its always dark until their grizzly headlights come and its in the crush of water, with the weight of the world on everything, everywhere in dead silence where life may begin again
kayaky

Back to the top

Frost Returns

Along the boulevardes of spring I've walked And hand in hand felt warmth of sun and you Under the full and vernal orb we've talked With give and take found sweet caress too few

So many plans, have come and gone my dear My words seem pale compared to how I feel How could one say those words to you I fear Mocking sentimentality though real

But then come nights when the full moon will rise Frosted icing with me lies no longer You've turned from the wall and feigning surprise Requiring service of men I wonder

How we've lived and loved so deeply just then Will frost return to melt away again?

kayaky

Back to the top

I Love My Friend and Wife

You must be me giving something because though we’ve never touched I look forward and see nothing and still I feel too much You just lift me up higher where air is fresh and rare and hours we pass will sometimes seem too hard for me to bear Oh – but what a feeling has come over me and when I think I’m going down I turn around and my heart has sung a different kind of song Its you that makes it play that tune, as one day we’ll meet again I’m just soaring – lifted up by seeing you – we’ll meet again – but when? Oh what’s that feeling that’s come over me? – when I think I’m rising high I turn around and then my mind just tells a different kind of lie “I’m only caught flat footed and broken by the loneliness of that day” Its not you that twists me turning in the wind when I see you’ve turned away “Don’t get too close!” love promised me but that promise was a lie Then I got close, too close for friends, and friendship surely died And friendship is, that after all, which made me want to stay But with those feelings haunting will they chase friendship away? She loves me, and I love she – there is no love triangle For I know love, I’ve loved before and this is my denial God strike me down for I have found a love I can rely on and if That’s the reason I can stay, then why am I still lying? And what kind of love is that my friend? When I can’t do without Your face, your voice, your gentle words that flow from lovely mouth? A curse be placed upon that love, its not what I had planned I did not ask to be in love, the Devil took my hand! If I’ve become an anecdote in a litany of men Those notches gone won’t soon return but I 'll still call you friend The world goes on and I must too, so I’ll face another day Infatuated with another,one a friend won’t turn away A different kind of love but far from love that stays Its born of distance once removed will finally dissipate Now I know its possible to love a friend and love will hold things true Who never touch, they’ll always hurt, good friends have heartaches too God gave me love and love I do, a fellow human being, just one Who got so close to me and all from just our meeting And those feelings within me? Don’t look! They’re locked and sealed. You’ll never open up that book, they’ll never be revealed It’s the price I pay and I live this way, we two will never be And what we have or might have had is not for us to see But love is good and I feel fine – I like what love has done! Each day those feelings transform me and create a new someone. An exhilarating rush of thoughts has changed my view of life I’m better now than I have been, I love both my friend and wife.

kayaky

Back to the top

Food for thought

You are so far away but in my mind you're still here beside me 
Its playing tricks with this lonely plebe While thinking is such nobility But you're so far away and though I remember, I still can't feel and though I dream , 
It just won't be and though I hope, I can't believe. 
So will you think of this when next we meet? and treat my senses until I leave, so crossing the border I perceive You'll keep me safe and warm and in love with thee.

kayaky

Back to the top

Fireballs in the Mirrors

Forget the past, your how now's and where for's! 
Its always there Hour glass sand which knows no past, no where from 
Still tumbles through time It leads us to this moment, one of possibilities 
Though gone suddenly - its replaced Like fireballs in the mirrors of a setting sun 
We'll see it again - tomorrow

Taking time, savouring life 'cause it won't last 
Mountain tops look down on fleeting moments 
But we'll have our present, filled with choices 
Decisions made quickly then lived out 
Like fire flies glowing in the deep summer night 
They're thin points of light - on a lonely road

Out there who knows who's watching 
Only, from a distance everything stands still 
But we're on that road and we're moving on 
Two wheels rolling, moving like the wind 
There because of the past, and there for the present 
The past's converging but ahead there's a thousand suns 
And we'll take them on one by one
kayaky

Back to the top

Finger Dance

Silver shadows danced while deft and dark they searched the shores of Rio 
Fingers reached while breathing deeply - gliding seething snakes in halos 
Burned temptations tips by titillation flared 
the way the wind blows lower than the heady brew 
It blew still kept where no one knows 
Oh to break that sureal stillness and simpering wetness 
Not filling ears with searing words or fumbling low caresses 
Another place once yesterday urging hands or finger presses 
electric moments forward to completion 
In these dimly lit recesses 
Better still than empty hours the solitary spark refreshes 
empty souls from empty beds which time alone addresses 
won’t waste away, another day in hopeless webs that blessed us 
kayaky

Back to the top

Evil Exes

Images incinerated in some candlelit ritual 
Snarling names uttered in contempt by single gender covens 
Inflicting pins and needles 
They sinned, and were imperfect 
Disloyal and unfaithful, 
They lied, and they cheated 
Now exe's to be vilified 
Still fathers and mothers had them 
but they were the worms 
The scum of the earth 
Harassing, pestering, foul filth 
We ease the pangs of emotional detachment 
from these hateful hurtful beings 
That we once loved
kayaky

Back to the top

Even More

Don't take me for granted I'm here for you now but that may not always be so Send me flowers, bring me chocolate, write me poetry and rub my feet and if you do then I will love you even more

Don't look over there when I am here for one day you'll turn and I'll be gone dote on me, praise me, touch my hair and hold me, just hold me and if you do then I will love you even more

Don't speak to her, don't dance with her when I am here and all alone for if you leave I might be gone on your return talk to me, touch me soul, and move with my spirit Just stay with me and if you do then I will love you even more

I'll hold you close and have your child I'll buy your clothes and send you smiles I'll warm your bed and ease your worried mind when times are tough and life gets bland I'll still be there to hold your hand Don't take me for granted, Don't gaze away, and I will love you even more
kayaky

Back to the top

Devotion

This woman has feelings - this is no rag doll in his arms As he holds her close she clings on expecting safety from him not harm With a fragile heart which may be broken by a callous word of his if spoken And yes - made to sing with joy through simple kindness or affection What at first was shallow emotion is now moved by deeper devotion A woman that speaks through her every motion and in her eyes a greater ocean of vulnerability asking only "please take care with me" Such a responsibility he's accepted and done so honestly - and won't fail or disappoint

This woman has beauty - this is no dime store trinket that he holds Dark hair, pale skin and smile illuminating sky Wouldn't any man find her fair and seek her out or try to woo her given half a chance - and love her too on second glance Would see the beauty there entranced by the good mother and angel longing now for sweet romance

She has life - he feels her heart beating and senses each breath she's breathing sharing the same with he Can anyone say where this is leading or where they will go concerned more that somehow there by mistreating will someday break her heart In that evil deed - he'll take no part preferring that he would never start upon a path with her left to understand somehow why yet again she'd lost another man rather she's found instead a greater good and loving friend who'll stay with her and help her in any way he can
kayaky

Back to the top

Dancing With You

I want to dance with you I want to watch your body move in time with mine Sweet locomotion, it's when I'm with you I feel so fine Can you feel the music the way I do? It's rippling down to my feet It's like I'm walking on air whenever we meet because I'm dancing with you

Way down there pulusates the beat It's sliding and pumping away in my veins Or is it just my heart pounding because I'm looking your way and I understand why being with you makes me a better man I feel alive, I'm in love and nothing else matters as long as you are in my arms and I'm dancing with you

You are a vision to me when you're spinning around and I see you toss your hair back So take me with you when you go - you just have to lead and I'll follow The lights have all gone down, can it be we're all alone? I can feel my skin tingle as you brush by and I'm so happy by your side Because I'm dancing with you

You're laughing and its a beautiful thing I'm holding you close, and without thinking I've started to sing - and why shouldn't I sing to the woman I love - who's in my arms The music has long since stopped but our melody keeps playing and I can't wait to get you home We won't need that band, its beautiful music we'll be making when I'm dancing with you tonight

My head is in the clouds, my feet are in the stars I love you woman its so plain to see Nothing is more important to me than to have you close Maybe we'll go out tonight Maybe turn up the heat tonight Forever things will be all right if we are Dancing together, you and me
kayaky

Back to the top

Things I meant and could not say

You were overtaken by the day falling away , 
swept into deep rest until the morning 
Where waking from some dream were pressured by the hour 
and found No words from me to say how much I loved you

Simple words never weighed so much 
On my heart or hung more heavily on my tongue 
By day found their place in my work 
Things I meant and could not say 
For fear of losing myself in their power 
things I should have said meant less not more that way

I had slipped between flannel sheets 
In darkness, shadows freed from light 
And laid against my one true love whose warmth against the bitter night 
was refuge for my troubled mind No sweeter moment better shared 
Though that truth could not be told

My eyes closed tight, world finally calm cocooned in warmth 
with you that night no uttered words to wrong or overflow the cup 
Of love so deep, which born of youth and ripened through time 
had swadled us in that cradle of mine

Ever present and constant I feared 
And held on tighter for 
With the passing of years like a leap into blackness 
like the darkness of that night headlong into the future 
prayed you would always be there

No longer separate our lives entwined 
Memories melded, history enshrined 
More years together than apart 
Perhaps that fear was just a dream 
For you’d always been there for me
kayaky

Back to the top

Chances Are

Chances are, you'll be laughing right out loud and thinking how we never had a prayer Telling all your friends you were just hoping it would end and trying not to let me down too hard

Chances are - I ll be staying up at night And watching nothing much on the TV Trying not to think of you and me and the way things used to be, or could have been

Chances are - we'll get on with our lives and how different after all could people be What attracted us was gone and the love's not coming on Just a moment like many others passed us by

Chances are the sun will rise again and birds will fill the air once more with song But your voice will not be heard and my heart will still be hurt cause the leaver left the loser lost in time

And chances are you'll find yourself another who gives you more than I could ever do buy you clothes and fur and take you round the world

Its what I would have done if chances had not played an hand with me and you

kayaky

Back to the top

Cell Phones Selfish

Simply speaking's so supernatural sometimes 
Upon the Sea of sound and fury 
So important, so accessible and so alive 
Connected to the collective, connected to the hive dancing bytes and pixels mix messages with noise voice mail misinforms us, there's conversations to avoid 
Cell phone selfish and day- minding foolish 
as organized as attached as busy keeping busy 
could tackle any task 
Waiting for someone or thing to ring yank their chains 
chomping at the bit are we to communicate again 
words never reach them from the bedside - 
drowned out by vibrations or beeps as loud as a shout 
You'regetting this 
and just getting that 
while ignored, you've forgotten 
the one before you sat 
I'll talk to you without the sky between us 
I'll touch your face again my dear 
There'll be no telephones to defeat trust 
When I look into your eyes 
We're cell phone foolish, 
cell phone selfish fools 
connected but protected 
from a simple human touch 
A face to face encounter 
that will always mean so much
kayaky

Back to the top

Angel's Heart

Who saw you fall sweet angel 
when the arrow pierced your heart 
Launched quickly from the darkness 
but it surely found its mark 
A senseless barb of poison 
had been calculated there 
to find the source of dreams and hope 
that danced as light as air

He knows too well what makes you cry 
and aims from his deep despair 
To snatch those moments from your grasp 
just when you start to care

And he would sit and watch you fall 
not rush to catch your heart 
or save it from the venom 
which is breaking it apart.

But who wouldn't try and save your soul 
and see your heart released 
And who wouldn't cry and reach for you 
that saw that hurtful deed. 
Who saw that arrow - watched its flight 
and saw it piercing you 
could not stand idly watching - 
that'is something He would do.

Love lost is found 
not with the one who promised it was true 
But with another 
Who hearing words 
found no ugliness in you 
Instead its beauty that was found 
and dwell's in angel's heart 
so Collect your hope and dream again 
tomorrow a new love will start
kayaky

Back to the top

Ancient sky

Soaring High on darkened wings through red rimmed sky at dusk 
Far down below are city lights where cars and strangers fuss

A sea of life that fits so well in palm of outstretched hand 
But nothings changed since leaving ground no reach brings touch again

Night comes on with grey and black deserted by the sun 
Gitchee Gumee looms large and cold and slivered moon is hung

Fade away to cerulean where sibling crescents glow old as time 
one burns one shines through flight we've come to know

Circles upon circles A patagonian scape magical 
and perhaps unseen except in ancient days

In mystic Machu Pichou Up where the world seemed small 
and clouded by a coca haze Were humbled by it all

But nows the time to be alive speed makes the sunset last 
just chase the sky forever and this sunset shall not pass
kayaky

Back to the top

Email in a Bottle

A message drifts ashore one day which some ancient rhyme had thrown away and flotsam found was read that way, as if its words had worth to say by hapless soul beachcomber who, beside the surf saw what they knew to be a text with meaning true - was quickly read then misconstrued

The message was in point of fact a harmless jest and artifact not meant to sway or mental test but prompt a laugh within one's breast alas the plebe who found it where read words and meaning never there and changed his life upon that dare between the lines au bord du mer

Packed up his house and left his friends in search of treasures round the bend not knowing that beneath his quest lay foundations not of stone but jest then left behind a sorry mess in vain it seemed but strange at best would find by chance a treasure chest of wisdom that escaped his grasp

For having searched and strived for gold discovered back in days of old the treasures that he thought he sought were really what he had - then lost so back he went and claimed anew his rightful home and family too who welcomed back that sheepish plebe then tossed his rhyme back to the sea

The moral of this simple tale is caution when receiving mail a message that would change one's life and throw to waste one's friends or wife For jetsam is not sage advice lest first its weighed then set aside to be confirmed in passing time, then careful be if one confides

kayaky

Back to the top

Loving Losing Leaving

Seems you found yourself another You don't come round here no more So I'm wondering now all by myself what my future has in store

Well I remember how we used to laugh Sure we must have had good times so we won't be having fun together But could we have fun if we still tried

Something good has gone amiss here I don't usually have self doubts and I looked around inside me wondering what its all about

being dumped for some one else 
Left behind by one you loved for more than just two arms to hold them 
or something else put them above * 
Its just the same old sad sad story, thats been told a million times 
Somebody's heart is overflowing 
While someone's heart is broke inside * 
don't you know that love will leave you when you thinks its here to stay 
Don't you think its kind of funny? 
Things can work out wrong that way

But I'd have rather had the love that left me 
then just seen them walk away 
And I wouldn't keep my heart safe up on the shelf 
Though its on the floor today

No comments:

Canadian Rivers

Canadian Rivers
I speak for river users too!

The Queen is not amused!

The Queen is not amused!
http://www.ispeakforcanadianrivers.ca/

The Damned Dam - 2005 -

The Damned Dam - 2005 -
22nd Annual Kipaw Rally has modest turnout. - 23rd does better

The Ashlu river: it could happen to you

The Ashlu river: it could happen to you

Whitewater Ontario

Whitewater Ontario
Working Hard to Protect Canada's Paddling Resources

Whitewater Ontario - Mission Statement

It is Whitewater Ontario’s mission to support the whitewater paddling community through the promotion, development and growth of the sport in its various disciplines. We accomplish this through the development of events, resources, clubs, and programs for personal and athletic development, regardless of skill level or focus, to ensure a high standard of safety and competency; We advocate safe and environmentally responsible access and use of Ontario’s rivers. Whitewater Ontario is the sport governing body in the province, and represents provincial interests within the national body Whitewater Canada and the Canadian Canoe Association http://www.whitewaterontario.ca/page/mission.asp

Kipawa, Tabaret, and Opemican

Kipawa, Tabaret, and Opemican
If Hydro Quebec is not actively pursuing Tabaret what is that bite out of Opemican for?

Kipawa Dam: After

Kipawa Dam: After
Laniel Dam at 2006 Rally

Where is the Kipawa

Where is the Kipawa
Kipawa flows into lake Temiskamingue, running from Kipawa Lake, under hwy 101 in Quebec

Kipawa Dam

Kipawa Dam
laniel dam at 2004 River Rally

Tabaret is a Bad Idea

About the Kipawa



The best thing paddlers can do to help the cause of the Kipawa:

1. attend the rally and bring others including non paddlers to attend and buy beer and have fun

2. write your MP /MNA and raise the issue and post your objections -1 letter = 200 who didn't write

3. Write Thierry Vandal the CEO of Hydro Quebec strongly opposing the 132 MW standard decrying the use of "diversion" as the most environmentally inappropriate method of power production

4. Write Jean Charest, Premier of Quebec protesting that either the algonquin or the tabaret project will eliminate all other values on the Kipawa River by turning it into a dry gulch.

5. See if you can get other allied groups interested by showing your own interest, ie the Sierra Defense Fund, Earthwild, MEC, and so on.

6. Demand further consultation

7. Currently we are at the point where we need to sway public opinion and raise awareness.

However, if all else fails, don't get mad, simply disrupt, foment, and protest . The Monkey Wrench Gang.

Have you read Edward Abbey?

Important Addresses
CEO,Hydro Québec, 75 boul René Levesque, Montreal, P.Q., H2Z 1A4Caille.andre@hydro.qc.ca



Tabaret is a Bad Idea (Part Two)

Les Amis de la Riviere Kipawa is poised to use an application to the Federal Court to issue a Writ of Mandamus to ensure the Minster does what he is supposed to do, protect the public's right to navigate the water control structure at Laniel, Quebec using the Navigable Waters Protection Act. (see http://www.kipawariver.ca/)

In the now gutted Navigable Waters Protection Act lay the means by which the Minister of Transport could keep the public right of passage down our great Canadian Heritage, our rivers and streams which are threatened especially by resource corporations and power brokers such as Hydro Quebec.

These powerful entities continue to petition that 'this' river or 'that' stream is not navigable and therefore not protectable.
I don't say that dams and bridges should not be built, only that if they are, historical navigation rights should be considered and preserved by making reasonable accommodations for recreational boaters.

It is the Minister of Transport, in exercising the right to allow or disallow work on or over a navigable waterway is what keeps boats and recreational boaters plying our waterways.

To many recent cases launched in the Federal Court concerning the Navigable Waters Protection Act, most recently the case of the Humber Environment Group of Cornerbrook Newfoundland versus the Cornerbrook Pulp and Paper Company indicates that the important oversight is not being faithfully performed. Have we really come to the point now where we must say "such and such a stream is one foot deep, possessing so many cubic feet per second flow and so on?" The answer to this is... YES!

The honourable Mr. Justice John A. O'Keefe, ruled that it had not been shown that the river was navigable. How convenient was that to the Minister? But either the Minister of Transport acts to protect our rivers and streams as a public right or he does not and that means rivers and streams currently enjoyed by kayakers and canoists.

Enough of the cheating, and double-talk. Canadians! our rivers and streams are our own, lets urge the Minister of Transport and the our government to protect them.

Peter Karwacki

Tabaret is a Bad Idea (Part Three)

10 Reasons WhyTabaret is a Bad Idea1) Tabaret is too big. The station is designed to useevery drop of water available in the Kipawawatershed, but will run at only 44 percent capacity.We believe the Tabaret station is designed to usewater diverted from the Dumoine River into theKipawa watershed in the future. 2) The Tabaret project will eliminate the aquaticecosystem of the Kipawa River.The Tabaret project plan involves the diversion of a16-km section of the Kipawa River from its naturalstreambed into a new man-made outflow from LakeKipawa. 3) Tabaret will leave a large industrial footprint on thelandscape that will impact existing tourismoperations and eliminate future tourism potential. 4) The Tabaret project is an aggressive single-purposedevelopment, designed to maximize powergeneration at the expense of all other uses. 5) River-diversion, such as the Tabaret project, takinglarge amounts of water out of a river’s naturalstreambed and moving it to another place, is verydestructive to the natural environment. 6) The Kipawa River has been designated a protectedgreenspace in the region with severe limitations ondevelopment. This designation recognizes theecological, historical and natural heritage value ofthe river and the importance of protecting it.Tabaret will eliminate that value. 7) If necessary, there are other, smarter and morereasonable options for producing hydro power onthe Kipawa watershed. It is possible to build a lowimpactgenerating station on the Kipawa river, andmanage it as a “run-of-the-river” station, makinguse of natural flows while maintaining other values,with minimal impact on the environment. 8) The Kipawa watershed is a rich natural resource forthe Temiscaming Region, resonably close to largeurban areas, with huge untapped potential fortourism and recreation development in the future.Tabaret will severely reduce this potential. 9) Tabaret provides zero long-term economic benefitfor the region through employment. The plan is forthe station to be completely automated andremotely operated. 10) The Kipawa River is 12,000 years old. The riverwas here thousands of years before any peoplecame to the region. The Tabaret project will change all that.

Problems on a local River?

  • There is more to do as well but you have to do your research and above all, don't give up.
  • IN the meantime prepared a document itemizing the history of navigation of this spot and its recreational value. Use the Kipawa river history of navigation as a guide: see www.kipawariver.ca
  • Under the Ministry of Environment guidelines you have a set period of time to petition the change under the environmental bill of rights, you may have limited time to take this action. But it involves going to court for a judicial review of the decision.
  • 4. contact the ministry of natural resources officials and do the same thing.
  • 3. contact the ministry of the environment and determine if they approved the project
  • 2. determine if the dam was a legal dam, approved under the navigable waters protection act.
  • 1. research the decision and timing of it to determine if an environmental assessment was done.

Minden Ontario

Minden Ontario
Gull River Water control at Horseshoe lake

A History of Navigation on the Kipawa River

Prior to the environmental assessment there was no signage at the Laniel Dam

T-Shirts Area: These are available now!

T-Shirts Area: These are available now!
Send $25 and a stamped self addressed envelop for the Tshirt, and for the bumper sticker, a stamped and self addressed envelope with $5.00 for the bumper sticker to Les Amis de la rivière Kipawa, 80 Ontario St., Ottawa, Ontario, K1K 1K9 or click the link To purchase a Les Amis "T" contact Doug with the following information: Number of shirts:Sizes: Ship to Address: Method of Payment: cash, cheque and paypal, Shipto address:

Bumper Stickers Now Available

Bumper Stickers Now Available
Get your bumper sticker and show your support for the Kipawa Legal Fund ! - send $5.00 in a Stamped, self addressed envelope to: Peter Karwacki Box 39111, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, K1H 7X0